Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Guanajuato Walls

What is so attractive about these old walls with the name Roja? I shot this in 1974 in Guanajuato, Mexico. For years it hung somewhere in my home, and I have never stopped looking at it and wondering why? What is really attracting me to this photo? Could it be the vertical rectangular layers? …the combinations of colors? …the third worldliness of it? …or could it be "Roja"? Who is, or was, Roja? A local politico, a common vandal, a kid making his mark, or just the female form of "rojo" - the color red? Some pictures have a way of lodging themselves in the subconscious, this is one of them. I hope it sticks to you as it has, pleasantly but hauntingly, stuck to me for over thirty-three years.

Shot with a Nikon F2, 105mm Nikkor lens, Ektachrome Professional film.

No comments: